
The kids and I took a trip to Old Navy today. Destroy needs some school clothes before he starts preschool in a couple of weeks. If you've ever been to Old Navy you'll know that they have these big buckets of bright shiny balls right at kid's height. So we make our way back to the toddler section and the boys find the bucket of balls. So I spy some cute brown corduroys and walk over to them with the kids and balls in tow. As I turn around to make sure they were following me I see a ball bouncing away and a little girl sitting in a pristine pink stroller, with pink shades slightly ajar on her little head. A furious Dad pushing the stroller looks at me and says,
"Your kid just hit my kid in the head with a ball!" He says this to me without even checking to see if his daughter was OK, who, by the way didn't even flinch. So I tell Destroy that he needs to be careful because he just hit this little kid in the head. So Destroy proceeds to go put the ball back because he knew he had just made a mistake. I tell the man, who is still standing there, that I was sorry (in kind of a sarcastic tone, which he probably caught) and he leaves. The woman next to me who heard it all just said, "Amazing" to which I replied, "Yes, I thought we were all trying to raise our kids here". "No kidding" she says. Meanwhile I am trying to get Search into the stroller and he's really resisting. Through his screams I could hear the same man over near the ball buckets talking loudly. I go ever there and he has found an Old Navy store employee and he is pointing at Destroy who is putting the balls away. He is obviously explaining to the employee what had just happened. As I walk over the man points right at me and exclaims, "That's the mom!". The employee tells me that I can't allow my child to throw balls around (from the bucket which holds tons of bright, shiny balls right at kid's eye level). I look the employee in the eye, and I can see the man in the background, and I say, "Some of us don't have children who will just sit in the stroller". The man behind him heard me and walked away.
So with only a couple of 5T shirts I walk up to the check out with two unhappy little boys feeling like I was about to break out into sobs. The little girl's mom is up there talking to the same employee assuring him that the little girl was in fact, just fine. After this whole incident I thought of a millions things I wanted to say to the man like, "good luck with public school and soccer games". I looked for him when I went outside but I never saw him. Good thing, I probably would have run him over.
I'm still seething and it's already been a few hours. Am I alone in feeling like some people are so retarded? I completely agree with the guy that Destroy should not have thrown the ball in there, but did he really have to react like that? I know I wouldn't have. It seems that in order to raise a child it takes a whole community, but with people like this around I feel very alone in raising my kids.
Here's a funny link of a mom in a store with her kids. Be sure to read the description too!http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130144061675
8 comments:
It is so hard to shop with kids!! I feel for you. And people with other kids should be understanding, but not always!
I read the ebay site of the women selling pokeman cards. Too funny, sad, and true! Have you checked out her blog?
This sort of thing happened when I went to the park with Gavin. He poured sand on some kid and before I could get there, the mom went crazy on Gavin. Serious. I was about ready to rip her arms off. Even if she was seven months pregnant . . .I later saw her chasing her kid saying, "Tommy, I'm too big to be chasing you! Stop! Stop! Stop!" I smiled and thought to myself, "Good luck lady".
I dont really think Wes hit any little girl in the head with a ball, because when i saw him one week ago, he was a perfect angel to my daughter...so helpful and gentle. So i think the dad is lying or else the little girl really deserved it. And I would have told the employee that they should not put balls out for little kids to throw unless they are ready to pick them all up. Then i would have poured all the balls on the ground and said "have a ball" and then thrown those 5t shirts on the floor and drove your stroller right over them. What are they going to do, sue you? Plus, it could have been an accident and you would win in court. Plus, at the Old Navy in Charlottesville all the clothes are already on the floor, so really you would just be helping them. Done.
I love that story! And I loved reading that woman's story too! Thanks for the laugh.
I would have done a lot worse, so you are ok! I would have gone crazy on both the man and the employee. People are so rude and think their kids are always better. The little girl would have probably liked to get out and play with Wes! Sorry that happened to you ~ seething after 5 hours is PERFECTLY normal!
Thanks guys. I thought maybe I was wrong to feel like I wanted to cry but I'm glad you all reacted the way I did. Grrrr....
I'm still mad about the lady on the airplane. I love how you said aren't we all trying- I wish people would lay off. When Emma was still sleeping through movies- we took her to see James Bond- she woke up and I took her out. Some old man followed me out then proceeded to give me the riot act for taking such a young person to see a violent movie. I still occasionally come up with new things to say to him. None of which are very Christian.
Hi, Meg. Been a while since I checked your blog, but that sounds just horrible. I would've been really upset, too. I kinda' feel sorry for that little girl. What is she going to turn out like with parents like that?
Post a Comment