Monday, October 1, 2007

Splurge vs. Skimp

My friend Nicki asked what kinds of things I splurge on and what kind of things I skimp on. So here goes.

10 SPLURGES
1. Tillamok cheese. It's simply the best. I was devastated to come out to Indianapolis and find that the local stores carry only Kraft or store brand cheese. But, with further research I've since learned that Costco once more saves the day and carries Tillamok. Too bad it's a half and hour away.
2. Produce. If it's on sale, great. If it's not, I buy it anyway. I am known as the fruit and vegetable Nazi in our house. If my kids will eat it, and produce being the best thing you can put into your body, I'll buy it no matter what the cost.
3. Car Insurance. I pay a little extra for a dependable auto insurance who have been highly recommended. The cheap-o auto insurance companies scare me a bit.
4. Jeans. I'm not talking Lucky or Diesel, but I have to admit that if I find a pair of jeans that fit me like a dream, I'll pay $50 (I guess that's not as bad as some).
5. Shoes. The boys wear Stride Rite (unless we're at church) and I always buy Adidas for running shoes. My Mom taught me never to mess with your feet because they are the only ones you get. So take care of them!
6. Sensodyne toothpaste. Unfortunately I have pretty sensitive teeth so I have to pay a couple extra bones to help me out in the sensitivity department so that I can comfortable eat ice cream.
7. Education. Duh. I didn't care what the cost of Destroy's preschool was going to be, I just found the one I thought would work the best for him and shelled out the dough.
8. Pizza. Papa John's is the best. Sorry, Nicki, I'd have to disagree with you and say that pizza does not all taste the same. I'll spend a couple of extra bucks on tastier pizza.
9. Face wash. I only buy the Clinique foaming face wash. I love the stuff, what can I say?
10. Electronic things. If we're going to buy something expensive, we might as well spend a bit extra so that we can insure that it lasts, right? Computers, DVD players, etc.6.
11. Huggies wipes. Why do my kids have nasty, giant smears of poo when I change them? I use about 12 wipes every time Search goes #2. Why can't it be a nice little clump? Oh, because I'm the fruit Nazi. That's why. No other wipes can compete with Huggies as far as cleaning those little bums.

10 SKIMPS
1. Almost all food items. I buy either what's on sale or the store brand for just about everything. I don't buy store brand ice cream (Dreyers, Breyers and B&J's only but only when on sale).
2. Clothes except for jeans. I spent $40 bucks for the boys clothes recently at this huge baby re-sale and got most of their winter clothes. I buy shirts from no-name stores and Target because they are cute, cheap and usually end up with stains or holes in them anyways.
3. I have to agree with Nicki on the sunglasses thing. I lose them or the kids break them way too often to justify buying expensive ones. So, until I get a brain and my kids grow up, the Target dollar spot is where it's at.
4. Kids toys, in the rare event that I buy them. The only time a buy a semi-expensive toy is for Christmas or birthday. For some odd reason, my children rarely play with toys. They like to search and destroy, watch movies, draw and play outside. So the only place I buy them toys, if at all, is once again the Target dollar spot or Joann dollar spot. They have all kinds of great art stuff at the Joann dollar spot.
5. Shampoo, lotion, soap, paper towels, etc. I usually wait until the Costco coupons come around.
6. Medicine. Never buy brand name if there's generic. Having a medically inclined husband, it's nice to know that, yes Nicki, they really are the same thing.
7. Southwest Airlines. Living a long ways from family now it's expensive to fly home. So, we go with unassigned seating, cheesy, singing flight attendants and long lines. It's worth the price cut though.
8. Tithing. Just kidding!
9. Wendy's dollar menu.
10. Everything else not mentioned in the splurge group.

What do you skimp on and what do you splurge on?

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Cute blog idea. I may have to steal it! :) And, I couldn't agree more on the ice-cream. Get the good stuff on sale or don't get anything at all!

todd & nicole said...

Great idea. I agree with all your spend and scrimp ideas.

aisha said...

Love that Clinique foaming wash too. I've been hooked on that for years!

Megan said...

Sorry, I was supposed to urge all readers at the bottom of the post to follow suit. You can do it too!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the Huggies wipes! I just bought some and cringed at the register! They're so worth it though. I like the cucumber-green tea ones. :) What a cool idea for a post too! We all have our splurges and skimps!

The Jonas Family said...

I prefer the Costco Kirkland brand of wipes. They seem to be the best for me, especially not ripping apart easily.

I wash with Dove soap (face and body). It makes me feel moisturized!

Ice cream - we are into Cold Stone!

I love cheese too, but any kind!

The Jonas Family said...

I find that I splurge on the kids at times, and less on me for clothes, or food and toys at times, but then I do a little splurging of it for me other times. It is great when family (parents) are around and help out too on things!

Marlo said...

Um, I am a little embarrassed because I realised that I don't splurge on ANYTHING...we even bought both our latptops used and I use whatever soap I am near on my face..or just water. Is this bad? Just don't ask about when we lived in Paris...8 months of splurge. Yikes!

Megan said...

Marlo, I would expect nothing less. Even when you guys are making big money one day, you'll still be washing your face with any old soap.

Nicki said...

Okay, well you got me on that one... Papa John's really is the best pizza, I totally agree with you on that! But it's still less than Round Table! Why are they so expensive?