I remember when I was young that trick-or-treating was the main focus of Halloween. Now, amidst all the other Halloween activities, Trunk-or-Treats, parties, etc, it doesn't seem like trick-or-treating is the main focus anymore. I'm actually hoping that it will phase itself out because I really don't like inspecting every single piece of candy they get. I even suggested to Aaron that we start our own tradition on Halloween night of watching a Halloween movie and making caramel apples, but he was insistent that he take the kids Trick-or-Treating. So, I lost. Oh well.
So, while he took the boys out Trick-or-Treating, I stayed home and passed out candy to the princesses, pirates, Spidermen and bleeding Scream faces. Can I just say that I am really scared what is going to happen to the world when they start getting older? I have never seen so many greedy, rude kids in my life. I understand that it's Halloween and all, but seriously! It's no excuse to be rude and inconsiderate. They would start by walking right over our grass (right over the new seed that we just laid!) and march right up to the door and grab handfuls of candy without even saying "trick-or-treat". One boy, even after telling him four or five times to "only take one" kept grabbing more and shoved them all into his bag. Finally he looked at me, grabbed one back out of his bag and put it back in the bowl. I was just about ready to close up shop after that one. I was appalled. Call me the Grinch of Halloween, but I put signs out on the driveway to please not walk on the grass and then started putting just one piece in each bag instead of letting them choose. Aaron was so embarrassed but I didn't care! I just could not believe these kids!
Not only were they rude in inconsiderate, but they came in all ages. Half of the Trick-or-Treaters were high school kids. I never went trick-or-treating in high school and I remember feeling silly if I went during middle school.
On a happier note, Search and Destroy had a lot of fun getting candy. We have candy coming out of our ears. We went to five different Halloween parties and there was candy and treats to take home from all of them. I feel sick just looking at all the candy. They came home very tired but so happy to have lots of new candy. When they realized that Trick-or-Treaters were coming to our house, they got so excited and took over my job of passing out candy. Instead of waiting for kids to ring the doorbell, they took their step-stools out on the porch and sat and waited for them. I even told Destroy to politely ask people to stay off the grass:) Once when I checked on them, I didn't see Destroy's candy bowl anywhere. Upon further inspection, I noticed that he had dumped it all in the nearest pumpkin. When they got bored with that they went inside and pretended to go trick-or-treating from room to room. They took turns being the Trick-or-Treater and the candy passer-outer. It was pretty cute.
8 comments:
Hailee just really got into Halloween too. I think little trick-or-treaters are so cute. The older they get the less cute they are. We went trunk-or-treating with a friend ward so we missed the trick or treating action at our house. We got home at 8:00 and didn't have anymore trick-or-treaters.
What a nice looking door! Seriously! It's freshly painted, there's Halloween decorations...you did a great job. I love the stories about your boys and doing their own trick-or-treating. :) And, I can agree with you about kids not being as grateful. At the trunk or treat, the kids generally just shoved their bags at us, got their candy and moved along. No "thank you" and usually not even a "trick or treat." Elliott was giving some of them a hard time and saying, "uh, what do you say? Can't you even say Trick or Treat?" Some would say it then, but others just smirked at him like "give me the candy man!" So...I understand! And, there are a LOT of older kids who go. I was kind of surprised. Some don't even dress up. It's kind of weird!
Ugh. There's nothing I hate more than rude kids.
And Brooke, I don't give candy to kids that aren't dressed up. I feel like my mother, but hey, c'mon now. It's Halloween for crying out loud!
I remember watching neighbors that just shut the door on a group of kids that looked too old. (I think that I may just do the same thing!) I think that 7th grade was the last time that I went trick-or-treating!
Megan, I absolutely know what you are talking about. Half of the “kids” that showed up were teenagers not in costume- talking with one another while holding their bags out expectantly. And if that weren’t bad enough- when they realized I was only putting one bit of candy in the bag, they paused long enough to give me a look. A look! Are you kidding me! I was thinking about this article (http://www.newsweek.com/id/43757/page/2) all day today, wondering if I should have listened to my insane irrational self that wanted to snatch the candy back and say, “Really? Are you serious? Did you really just do that?”
Anyway, on a lighter note. I agree with Brooke, Sweet picture in on your adorably decorated porch. And what a great story about how they kept trick or treating all night.
Okay, last year we had a group of teenagers (one of about 15 groups of un-costumed teenagers) and there was one girl in the group who didn't even look up from the text message she was typing to say "trick or treat!" So i just pretended to give her candy. :) The rules are simple: You wear a costume, politely say 'trick or treat,' and someone gives you a candy, after which you say 'thank you' and possibly throw in a 'Happy Halloween!' Is it so hard?
Just know that if my kids ever come to your house, they'll be nice, or I'm taking all their candy!
Also, your kids looked so cute and it sounds like they had a great time! It's so great that they have each other to pretend "trick or treat" with! :)
You already know how I feel about the trick or treaters this year so I won't go into that but I couldn't agree with you more!
Your boys are TOO CUTE! I can't get enough of them! I love how much fun they have together. It gets me so excited for when William and Oliver get older. We LOVE your family and are so happy to have you here in Indiana (even as wierd as this state can sometimes be)!!
Halloween Night! What a night!? There was so much going on days before with parties that my kids almost didn't want to put on their costumes again and go trick or treating. They have not quite gotten into the whole trick or treat concept, although we did take them to about 6 homes in our area, in which only 3 were home. My kids were happy to just get one at one house. They were ready to go home and eat their treat. I am sure in a more fluent neighborhood and when they get older they will enjoy it more. ...Plus we left on Halloween night for Mike's interview and left the kids with Grandpa.
Megan thanks also for helping me host the kids Halloween party for Scrubmates. I think it turned out well, and others enjoyed it as well.
Post a Comment