This last weekend was a complete blur. Aaron has been working a lot and he was on call sunday. Which means that we see him on saturday night and then the next time we see him is on monday afternoon. He is tired to say the least. Anyways, it rained a good chunk of the weekend and I wasn't about to go out in public with black-eyed-baby. Social services would have taken one look and I would be kid-less:) So today we went down to the post office to mail a couple of packages. It wasn't until then that I realized what day it was (monday) and that it was a holiday (Veterans Day). So on the way home Search and Destroy asked why the post office was closed. So I began to explain why we have a day called veterans day. I basically said that our country, called America has an army with soldiers who fight for our freedom. I listed a few examples of thing we enjoy with freedom; church, preschool, going to the park, etc. Then I told them that they have/had two Grandpa's who fought in past wars so that we could keep our freedom. Destroy said he was going to help the soldiers by "whacking the other soldiers with [his] lifesaver" (Star Wars never fails to wiggle it's way into every aspect of our lives). Search said he was going to help by shooting them with his guns. This discussion was not going in the direction I had hoped.
Later, when Aaron got home, Destroy began to tell him about Veteran's day.
Destroy: "The post office was closed because today is veteran's day"
Aaron: "Oh yeah?"
Destroy: "Yeah. Soldiers fight so that other countries won't come and take over our country."
Aaron: "Really".
Destroy: "Yeah. And soldiers killed lots of guys. Papa killed tons of guys!"
Meg: "No, Destroy, Papa might have killed a few guys." (Understandably, Papa doesn't like to talk about the war much so we don't know).
Destroy: "Well, I need to call Papa and thank him."
Meg: "What are you going to say to him?"
Destroy: "I'm going to tell him thank you for killing a few guys!"
I guess we can all say our thanks in different ways, huh? I know I'm grateful to have such brave,sacrificing men and women fighting for my freedom. I'm especially thankful to my Grandpa who spent two years fighting in WWII. We are so lucky to live in a country where we are able to choose our lives instead of have them chosen for us.
Kate's 10th Birthday
9 years ago
5 comments:
I love your stories! It's so funny to see how kids' minds work!
It is great how you are able to teach your kids at any moment of the day regarding anything. Brandon is WAY into the question "why" and will say it all the time to any statement I say. I think he just says it because, for no reason at all, but just for a response. Who knows!
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha. This is so stinkin funny.
I love hearing about your boys conversations. It's so cute. Your pictures with you mom were really cute too. How fun to get together.
Cute post! You're hair looks great, BTW, leading those horses :)
Post a Comment