Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Super Christmas

We had a fun Christmas! The boys decided months ago that they really wanted superhero costumes. So I got busy on my sewing machine and produced some fun little costumes. They got T-shirts in their favorite colors with the their initials, capes and masks. Superhero patterns were not in the budget so I didn't know how these costumes were going to fit them. I had to make a few alterations after they tried them on, but overall they turned out SUPER. Search and Destroy prefer to wear their capes without the T-shirts, with just underwear. Less clothing makes for better aerodynamics. Ready for blast off.
When we spend Christmas at my in-laws we always get jammies on Christmas eve. Luckily, Aaron's mom sent them in the mail this year so we told the boys while they were in the tubby on Christmas eve, that they could open one present (the jammies). Destroy pretended to be excited for a minute but then he had meltdown #1. "I told Santa I wanted a Buzz Lightyear!". He thought that this was his one and only Christmas present and that all he got were pajamas. We assured him that this was just a prequel to the next morning. Funny thing is, they love those pajamas and refuse to take them off. After I had washed them the next morning, they put them on and wore them all day. Capes and superheros in action. See? Destroy's hair is blowing in the fierce wind as he jumps. Good thing he is wearing protective eye covering. I'm so glad I made those masks! We had dinner with our friends Justin and Carol. She is an EXCELLENT cook so we enjoyed a lot of yummy food with names we couldn't pronounce. Search and Destroy love Carol and Justin, partly because they don't have kids yet but mostly because they are so fun.

So, I didn't take many pictures of Christmas morning because we were busy filming. But Destroy did get his Buzz Lightyear, in fact Santa even told me that he wanted to hide it and make them do a scavenger hunt for their presents from Santa. Santa is so clever. So they had to search for their Santa presents this year. Meltdown #2: Buzz Lightyear didn't have wings. But after a bit of reassurance and some make-believe, Destroy has come to terms with the fact that Buzz Lightyear doesn't have visible wings. Thank goodness for his active imagination so that he can pretend he does.

My favorite thing about Christmas is that I don't have to entertain my children for the following two days. The new toys do a great job.

Aaron got me a voucher for two tickets to a Broadway play and Carol already offered to babysit. Cha-ching! He also got me the Enchanted soundtrack which I successfully have stuck in my head on a loop. Even while I'm asleep. It's no wonder I like it so much, the soundtrack was written by the same guys that did Wicked.

After much searching, I found Guitar Hero III For Aaron. I told him that I couldn't find it anywhere (which was partly true, until I did:) Aaron also got his present on the scavenger hunt but it wasn't from Santa. It was from Santana :) Destroy is not coordinated enough to play this yet but he constantly asks for us to play it because it's fun to watch and we get to listen to great tunes. The first time we played this a few years ago Aaron told me I would be really good at it because I've played the piano my whole life. He was wrong. I stink. But he's really good! So it's fun to watch him and I like to play when he gives me the chance. Actually he did the dishes last night while I played. Isn't he the best? Anyways, we had a great Christmas and we are enjoying our break. Actually, I'm kind of lying. Aaron worked 100 hours last week (did you know there were that many hours in a week?) and Destroy doesn't have preschool which equals out to the fact that I have little time away from the kids. So, I'm ready for the break to be over.

8 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

I stink at guitar hero too. Ho hum. You can't be good at EVERYTHING can you? Ha ha.

Sounds like fun. You're so clever with your making of the costumes. I just got a sewing machine for Christmas . . .do you give lessons? I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I'm kinda scared of it . . .

Emma said...

You are SOOO creative. Those costumes are AMAZING. I absolutely LOVE them and it looks like the boys do too. So fun! Hang in there girl. I have decided that residency is hard, but most especially during the holidays.

Carl and Amber said...

What's up with that?!---100 hours! Is there some loophole in the law or are residencies just being dishonest?! What happened to 80 hours? I hope that this means that he won't work more than 60 hours next week! haha...I know!

Megan said...

It's an average between the whole month... not a mandatory limit for one week. I know! I was thinking the same thing!

Gardener said...

Your masks turned out so cute. I stink at Guitar Hero too! M.G. is good though. figures!

Julia said...

It's sounds like your boys had a great Christmas. I hope your hubby schedule lightens up soon. Mine got off his 100-week blah a week before Christmas, so it's been pretty nice these past 3 weeks. He's back on again starting tomorrow (boo!). I hear you with the break thing ... the high schooler at the gym today said, "wow, that break has gone way too fast!" and I said, "not for me!" Can't wait until Monday!
Hang in there. Even though we all are far apart ... we're in the same boat ... strength in numbers!

aisha said...

Such adorable superheroes! Love their costumes-what a treat for them!

Wing and Alli said...

Those boys are too darn cute in those costumes!! I missed them so much while I was gone and I'm sorry to say it but William is OBSESSED with Jeremy.