Destroy has a hard time at church. His high level of hyperactivity coupled with the large volume of social opportunities is just too much for him to handle. Controlling his freak-outs, outbursts and overall wildness is hard for him to do, but it's also not on the top of his to-do list. Being in primary, I get to witness all of his misbehavior. Not only to do I feel responsible for it, but I especially feel bad for the other leaders that have to deal with it as well as the distraction that he is to the other kids.
OK I realize that I"m making him sound like some kind of freak-child. He's not and his behavior isn't as bad as some I've seen :) But it's still an issue.
I've been reading a book that talks about giving consequences that are relevant to the child's misbehavior. So instead of taking away the privilege of watching a movie after church for irreverence, which is what I used to do, and which has nothing to do with being irreverent, Destroy now gets to have a session of reverence practice at home. This is unfavorable to him because A) it's boring, and B) it takes time away from doing other much more desirable activities.
Here are the rules:
*The minimum time to practice is 20 minutes.
*He must sit (with his bottom on the chair) at the kitchen table. He cannot get up.
*He can only talk about church and gospel related topics.
*He must raise his hand when he wants to say something (church-related).
*The last five minutes he is not allowed to speak at all.
For any breech of these rules, a minute is added to the clock. We have only done reverence practice twice, but both times Destroy has just about doubled his 20 minutes for breaking rules.
The question is... how many times do we have to do this until it actually shows to be effective? I have my doubts that it will ever work with this child, but now that we've started, we can't back down!
Kate's 10th Birthday
9 years ago
7 comments:
Megan, this is AWESOME!
I love this idea! Actually, it kinda goes along with the discipline method that I LOVE so much during potty training. When the kid has an "accident", you make him "practice" 10 times by running to the toilet from different areas in the house. It totally worked (for us, anyway) and so I have a lot of faith that something like this WILL work! Good luck and stick with it!
Thanks for sharing!
I have a feeling I'll be needing to learn how to discipline for this situation with Ellee. :) You'll have to let me know how it all goes with Destroy. Good luck!
I have a feeling I'll be needing to learn how to discipline for this situation with Ellee. :) You'll have to let me know how it all goes with Destroy. Good luck!
You'll have to ask Todd's mom about how long it takes for it to start working. She made him practice being reverent after Primary as well. I think he had to sit in the middle of the room and not talk at all.
I like this idea! I'm going to use it on Miss A, who has been a pill on the bench ever since DH was called into the bishopric. Keep us posted on how it works for you!
I totally know where you're coming from. Our kids-all ages-get assigned practice time at home if they misbehave in church. Plus, when Collin gets taken out during sacrament, he has to sit up in a classroom chair with his arms folded and his mouth closed until I feel he's ready to go back in.
This past Sunday I had to sit in the stand for the whole meeting because I was conducting hymns and the choir number, so I got to watch my kids from the stand. It was the first meeting in which I actually heard every word of the talks!
That is great. Definitely something we might use in the future. You never know, it might just work.
By the way, your backyard is HUGE! That is really beautiful there. How are you doing?
Post a Comment