Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Concept of Time


Understanding time is one of the hardest things for children to grasp. When the kids ask how long until we leave and I say 30 minutes, they ask, "How long is 30 minutes?" So instead of using minutes, hours, etc., sometimes I give them examples like "the time it takes you to eat your breakfast" or "the time it takes you to take a bath and get your jammies on".


Search has a patience problem. Especially when we're driving in the car. A few days ago, Search, Blake and I hopped in the car to go to the library. In his impatience (which I'm sure is very normal for a 4-year-old), he asks,


"Mom, what page are we on?"

Me - ?

S - "Mom, what page in the book are we on?"

Me - ?

S - "Which book are we on?"

Me - "Uh, we're not reading a book. We're riding in the car."

S - "I know but how many books do we read until we get there?"

Me - realization finally setting in, "Oh!!! Um, we have about 3 books to read until we get there."

S - "So which book are we on?"

Me - "Book number 2."

S - "What page are we on?"

Me - "13."


And on and on until we get to the library. He's a funny kid :)

PS Isn't that a cool pic? Even cooler because 5-year-old brother took it!

4 comments:

Madsen Family said...

that's a great picture! wes must be turning into a little photographer! that's cute about the book. jake does things like that too. most of the time it's funny, sometimes not.

Stephanie Madsen said...

haha that is funny and a really cute way to measuring time. i bet they just think it's fun to "play the game" and annoy you by asking what page you are on next :) haha I know i would do that. p.s. we missed you at thanksgiving! hope you had a good one!

Nicki said...

That is hilarious! What a good mom you are!

Susan Christian said...

What a great idea -- could have used that one about 18 years ago!