Friday, August 31, 2007

Mission Accomplished: Wallpaper Desensitization

Two months after we have moved in I'm finally done hanging pictures. It being one of Aaron's very favorite pastimes, I did it all while he was at work. That wasn't hard at all because he's hardly home anyways! Ahh, the joys of being a medical resident (he's on a 30 hour shift which is now 32 and still counting). I think it took me so long because I have been systematically immunizing myself to the walls so that I could get past the fact that we have to live here, with the wallpaper, for the next three years and if I was going to hang pictures I might as well do it now. The wallpaper isn't going anywhere.
Here is the living room. While most people hang photos in their picture frames, I hang fabric swatches sewn together. I was getting a little bored with pictures of our family all over the house so I decided to improvise. Aaron made no comment. I just figure that because I was born and raised in Ashland, Oregon I have the right to decorate as eccentric as I want. After all, I grew up around hippies. Fabric on a wall isn't so bad. Actually, I saw the idea at IKEA and even though I didn't like their display much, I figured I could elaborate.

Ikea also sells super cheap picture frames which I stock up on every time I go there. See the 8x10s? Yeah, they're not 8x10. They are 8.5x11. Who does that? Oh, yes, Europeans. Sheesh. It honestly took me all afternoon to make mattes for these beauties.
NOTE: I am not discriminating against Europeans, just their idea that selling 8.5x11 picture frames is a good idea.
Home sweet ghetto. I actually really like our bedroom, the yellow wall under the rip in the wallpaper goes perfectly with the off white squares in our comforter. With the pukes stains upstairs and the rips in the wallpaper (and the blinds hanging like a loose tooth in the computer room), I really feel like we have made this place our home. And everyone who lives here after us will know that.
I'm pretty sure the kids don't ever notice the pictures that I spent so long on. What a cheery feeling. So, if you ever do stop by our wallpaper mansion in Indiana, please comment on the pictures in the boys' rooms. Thank you.
I got crazy with the watercolors because I had to somehow cover the previous nail holes in the walls of the bathroom. Come to think of it, a little Spackle would have done the trick. Oh well, more pictures to go unnoticed.

6 comments:

The Jonas Family said...

I like the pictures, frames, and even fabric pieces (reminds me of my mom). I double clicked on the photos to get a better view of it all, especially the boys photos. I like the different colored frames and the blocked letter in their rooms. Good job? So, does Wes have wallpaper in his room, can't remember? What is hanging in your room? And did you color the sea creatures in your bathroom? They are pretty cool looking!

ShalottLady said...

Way to go, Megan! Looks good! :)

The Dixon Family said...

I LOVE the star hook thingy in your living room. I want one! And, I have a few frames that the pictures don't quite fit, and I love the home-made matting for you made for yours. They look great!

Too bad about the wallpaper (it adds character, right???). The rest looks marvelous!

Brooke said...

Man Megan! You are so creative! If only I had that imagination...but, maybe now after seeing yours, I can learn. Really, everything looks great!

Bekah said...

Awesome. i really like the framed fabric. Isn't southern OR great. I've worn tie dye every day for 2 weeks while I've been here. Um, do they wear it in Japan? Didn't think so. Anyway, you did an awesome job, I'm completely inspired and can't wait to make our semi-permanent home look like home. And now I have some ideas.

Megan said...

Check Marshalls for the star hook thing. Love that place! Or TJs or Ross.