With Christmas approaching I have been making numerous trips to Target and Wal-Mart for various gifts and stocking stuffers. While I am systematically detecting every single toy aisle to make sure I am inspecting every single toy, I can hear the chattering and bickering of the other people looking for toys. I can't help but smile when I hear the dozens of grandparents searching the aisles with their shopping lists looking for gifts for their grandkids or great-grandkids. I think it is so adorable because they always go as a couple, clutching their extensively detailed shopping lists of names and toys, coupons in hand to make sure they are getting the best deal. I just love it.
"Ok, Sammy wants the Death Star/Darth Vader Transformer. They have Transfomers again? I remember those from when Jack was young. Oh here it is. $46.00? Wow, they didn't used to cost this much! Maybe we should check Wal-Mart."
"Jessica wants the Barbie Island Princess Rosella. Ok, we found it. But, the ad said it was on sale. I don't see a sale tag here, do you? We need to find an employee. Did you bring the ad with you?"
Usually it's the grandma who takes control of the shopping situation while the grandpa just stands and interjects random comments when needed. He's really just waiting to man the credit card machine because his wife is nearly senile and doesn't have the computer skills to sign the little box with the little pen.
Which brings me to this point. The only word I can think of while I watch and listen to these adorable elderly couples shop for Christmas is "cute". But I fear that calling them cute, especially the sweet old man, would offend them. But, honestly, aren't they cute? I wonder what they think when people call them cute. Since when did we become cute? I used to be macho, and now I'm cute? What, you mean cute like a little puppy with a hurt paw? Gee thanks. Say whatever you want but just keep paying those taxes. We need the medicare.
Maybe I should ask my grandparents. They are definitely cute in my book. I'll keep calling them cute, though even if they tell me not too. When I get old, I won't be offended when I hear people call me cute.
Kate's 10th Birthday
9 years ago
3 comments:
I couldn't agree more ... it is "cute." I think it's so cute to see little old couples together. We saw a cute old couple in Corvallis over the summer shopping. She could read the tags and she was helping him walk. It was the cutest thing ever and they were so sweet with each other. I think it will be so fun to retire together.
THe other day I was searching out a sale myself, when a grandma asked me for some help. She had a 2 year old granddaughter and wasn't sure if some toy she was looking at was alright for her age. She was pretty concerned about the age limits on toys. I assured her those were merely guidelines and she could buy whatever she wants. Who knew people really even thought about those ages written on the toys? Or maybe I am just a bad mom. Guess I should not have bought Noelle a Wii for Christmas. I think cute is a great word Meg. After all, when you have a crush on a boy, you sometimes say he is cute.
I loved the dialogue! I think I've seen those exact people--or at least heard those same conversations! :) And...I agree--old people can just plain be cute! Maybe it's the little twinkle they get in their eyes or something. But, then again...sometimes cranky old grandpas can be cute too. I don't know why they are cute though...hmm...
Post a Comment