Monday, June 2, 2008

And he reads...

Now that he finally shows interest, Destroy likes to read! For a few months he has been spelling, but he has not had the desire to sit down and read. In the car, for instance, we would give him a word. Like DIG. He would figure it out in his head and spell it for us.


But we could not get him to sit down and sound out the words in a book.


But just recently he has decided that reading is fun. The other day he blew me away at Costco when I caught him sounding out the letters to "restrooms".


"Mom, that sign says 'restrooms'!" That was the day that I decided that it was time to start teaching him how to read. So, upon this highly recommended book, we have started a lesson a day. The lessons are short, they're not flashy, and it's all very simple. He starts kindergarten not this fall but the next, so I figure we can take all the time we need!


I have found that when I go to the library to look for beginner reading books, they are all way too advanced for his level. Does anyone have any recommendations for easy, early reader books? I want to find some that are simple and with few words so that it doesn't push him away from wanting to read. Any advice?

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Way to go Destroy! He's going to be WAY advanced when he starts kindergarten. But, I didn't expect any less with your kids! :)

The Jonas Family said...

I am going to start working with Brandon once we move to Arizona. So far, he is not that much interested. He too has one more year before kindergarten. I also need to work with him on writing his ABC's. Good fun in the summer time in AZ.

todd & nicole said...

I found the same problem at the library. My mom got me some easy reader books that I used with Hailee and she is starting to get into the books at the library now, but the first stage books are really hard to find.

Bekah said...

Brooke gave me the easy reader books that Miles used in kindergarten. They've been amazingly helpful. We ended up making some story books for Mims, stories about her, princesses, etc. We still need to put some pictures in or have her draw them, but she's enamored with them because they are about HER. I've never seen her so excited about reading a story.

Gardener said...

The Step into Reading books really helped dragonfly with his reading.

here is one example

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Race-Step-Into-Reading-Step/dp/0375802843/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212462243&sr=1-13

we can check a lot of these out at our library.

Julia said...

Wow. I'm impressed he's reading so early! You must have been phonics lessons with him since birth :)
I haven't found any books that I love. There is a series available at Borders that have like Animal Antics as one of the sets. I don't like the BOB books. Can't those people draw?
I do have a set of sight word flash cards that have been our staple. My kids could sound words out that followed the rules easily, but it was the unruly words that stopped them from reading a lot of books (you, their, her, etc.) But that's probably in your teaching book anyways.
Okay, I'm of no help.

the Pearce Place said...

I"ve heard of that book! I'm going to have to try it out!

Emily Wing said...

I think you are doing the right thing. With Lexi, we just started sounding out every word we came across out in public. Then, as we read story books, she would sound out one word a page. Eventually we got her one of the kindergarten workbooks and she is in heaven. They work on the letters but also have words on that page that begin with the letter. I haven't had any luck with books that aren't too overwhelming though. Good luck!!

Emily Wing said...

I think you are doing the right thing. With Lexi, we just started sounding out every word we came across out in public. Then, as we read story books, she would sound out one word a page. Eventually we got her one of the kindergarten workbooks and she is in heaven. They work on the letters but also have words on that page that begin with the letter. I haven't had any luck with books that aren't too overwhelming though. Good luck!!