Monday, October 20, 2008

Doctor in the house (our house!)



The other day Search was playing in the hall. Doing what, I have no idea. All I know is that a minute I hear his I'm-really-hurt scream and he comes a-runnin'. He was hit his head on a the corner of a wall. He was instinctively holding the back of his head so I knew that's where he had bonked. I started rubbing his head, like I always do when the kids get hurt. That is, until I noticed that his head was warm, wet, and sticky. He was bleeding from his head! Miraculously, until this point, neither of our children have gotten head wounds so I was taken back.


And of course Daddy was gone. Probably stitching up some other kid's head.


So I grab him and plop him on the counter and apply pressure to his head with the nearest kitchen towel while dialing Aaron in the other hand.


No answer. Perfect.


I try to calm Search down but I could tell he was still in pain and a little scared of the blood that was dripping on his shirt, on the counter and on the floor. And it was all over Mommy's hands. It probably didn't help when Destroy asked,


"Mom, is he going to die?" (He's into the death phase lately)


After a couple of minutes (what seemed like hours) Aaron finally called back. I explained the situation and he tells me that I needed to get a good look at the wound. So I try prying through his matted hair while his cut is still bleeding but I couldn't see the wound. Not only that, I was starting to feel a little faint. Which for me is kind of a weird thing because the sight of blood doesn't normally affect me. I mean, come on, I've watched entire autopsies before. I guess I'll pull out the pregnancy card again! (I've used that card a lot this pregnancy :) So I try to find the cut... but with no avail. Aaron gives me the best advice he can.


"Well, keep pressure on it until it stops bleeding." And then he says, "And I'll bring a stapler home with me".


Huh? A stapler? Are you serious? You want me to hold him down while you staple his head? Great. Luckily, after we hung up, Search stopped bleeding a few minutes later and he was back to normal. And by this point he was telling me to leave him alone and that he was fine. I didn't dare wash his head until I talked to Aaron because I didn't know if I would make it start bleeding again. So he looked like one of the dead kids out of "The Sixth Sense". The one with the hatchet in the back of his head. Except that there was no hatchet. He was a little frightening.


Daddy finally gets home (no stapler in hand, phew!).


"Meg, get the superglue. I'm gonna need your help". Huh? Superglue, are you kidding? So, with me holding Search's head still, Aaron finds the wound, drops a few drops of superglue in, and by grabbing a tuft of hair on either side of the wound and crossing the tufts back over each other and using the hair to hold the wound closed for for a few minutes, he was able to seal it. And he was also able to superglue some hair together as well :) The best part was that we didn't have to staple the kid's head. Or get stitches.


So now you know. Instead of paying for that expensive Emergency Room trip, just make sure you have a tube of superglue on hand and you'll be good to go!
*Disclaimer: this is not professional medical advice. If you or someone you know is seriously injured, please seek out the nearest hospital. (Aaron was a little worried when I told him what I'd posted :)

8 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

Okay so I was eating breakfast when I read this. Not a good idea. I'm glad he's okay . . .and superglue. Who would've thunk? I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the tip.

Aly said...

Thanks for the tip!!! Glad it wasn't any worse.

DD said...

That is a fabulous idea!! I'm so glad we have a doctor in the family! I love all the things that come out of your kids mouths during times like these. Hopefully he'll be over the "death" phase soon!

Carl and Amber said...

We keep liquid band-aid on hand at all times. Does Aaron keep lidocaine on hand?

The Jonas Family said...

Oh, my!!! Did you hear that happened to Brandon. I think it was just last year in the early Fall, probably around this time. Mike was on a call with another EM group back west interviewing network. So, I started screaming when I noticed blood myself. First thing, mike said I need to be be calm. Then he grabbed Brandon and put his head under the sink to assess the wound and clean it out. IT was hard to see him open it and make it bleed more. Luckily it wasn't terribly bad. We applied pressure with towels and put an ice pack on it for at least 30 mins. while mike went back to the hospital to get a staple gun. Although that is not what he told me at first. He said he would stitch it up. When he came back with the stapler gun, I got scared, plus nothing to numb it (luckily I iced it for 30 mins.) we wrapped him in a towel like a mummy so he would not move, not to excited for him, plus I had to help hold him down. Then he quickly stapled one in his head. It was fast and not too painful. I guess just like a shot, then he was better. I forget when and how he took it out. Luckily all was well from then and hopefully you guys too. IT will heal. Brandon even has a little scare.

Danielle said...

Yeah as an accident prone child myself, I can tell you that I would have way rather had super glue in my hair than those dumb staples. Those hurt!

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness! You're so lucky to have a doctor at your beck and call. When I first saw the pic, I thought it was practice for a Halloween costume or something. I'm so glad he's alright and also glad to know about the superglue!

Also, I didn't know the epidural only took part-way on you too. Yeah! Someone who understands my pain...literally! :)

Smart said...

I love your family! You're all so cute!!