Last may we came out to Indianapolis to look for a house. We knew we only wanted to rent... so our options were limited. Well, we looked and looked and we finally found the house that we live in today. Yes, it's pretty cute with a sweet little cottage feel, but why didn't we look around the yard last year and think,
"Wow. That's a lot of yard work. Wow". I don't remember the thought ever going through my head as we were signing the lease. Why oh why?
Now, I feel like a weeder by profession. Just "letting the yard go" is not an option. I can't stand to go outside and be surrounded by weed infested flower beds. I just can't do it. So, instead of playing baseball with the kids and going on bike rides, I find myself spending all of my outdoor time WEEDING. I'm done. I'm ready to Round-Up the entire yard; echinaecha (a cookie for the first person to spell it right: it wasn't in spell check), tulips, daffodils, ferns, lillies, everything. Anything to get rid of the weeds. Of course, we could always hire someone to come and do our yard work, but then there's A) the cost (which would not co-exist well with a resident's salary) and B) The yard care guy would never make it to other yards because ours would be so time-consuming. So here are a few pictures to enjoy of our beautiful yard. It is for once all weeded at the same time (well, almost).
FRONT YARD (small flower bed):

One more patch in the front yard:

Here's where the real weeding starts. I could spend (and have spent) 2 hours just in this section. When we first got here last July the weeds (you know those
poky ones?) were easily as tall as I am.

More in the backyard. That big planter box used to have a pond in the middle. When we got here last year it wasn't running and there was a dead mouse in it. So, we took the pond out, threw it in the forest and filled in the big hole. With dirt from the forest. We love that forest. Our last Christmas tree resides in the forest now too, all shriveled and dry. So do all yard clippings, lawn mower waste, etc. As long as it's something plant-related, we throw it in the forest. I don't love the Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac in the forest.

Wild strawberries grow in here during the summer. Too bad they aren't bigger than my
pinkie finger otherwise we'd eat them!

More in the backyard. See that cute little cobblestone walkway? It doesn't look so cute after you have sprayed Round-Up in every single little crack and crevice. Oh, and the moles think it's fun to dig tunnels under the rocks and move them up and down all the time. Hmmm, I wonder. Does Round-Up work for moles too?

There is a rose bush under our bedroom window in this picture (which you can't see). I have yet to see roses bloom from it. But then, we've only been here 9 out of the last 12 months. So maybe they'll bloom yet.

This flower bed is the longest in the whole yard. It stretches all the way to the road. And, no, I don't weed this one. It's too much. This flower bed divides the front yard from the backyard with dirt on either side of the fence. We plan to grow pumpkins along it this summer.

Here's the flower bed on the other side of the house, the side that no one sees. I take the "If you can't see me, I can't see you" approach. It's never been weeded.
Search's hair looks much like a weed also. How's that for bed-head?
10 comments:
Megan. A few things:
1. I'm sorry, but it's MAY 1st. You have a whole lotta weeding ahead.
2. Mole. Are you for real? How about posting a pic of one of those things 'cause I've only heard of them in books (the ones I read to Gavin).
3. I envy your awesome grass right now. Ours in under 4 inches of snow.
'Nuff said.
Can we roll on your grass?
One word for you: MULCH. You can usually get it for FREE at your local dump. You have to haul it, but if you put 2-3 inches of the stuff on the bare dirt, it will keep the weeds down and look prettier than the dirt. You can also try newspaper/cloth/plastic to keep the weeds out. cover with mulch or wood chips. good luck!
Okay, I know I'll sound crazy, but I'm jealous of your big yard. I can't wait to have some more space. Mostly for a vegetable/fruit garden, but still. I totally second Bekah's suggestions. We have a "weed cloth" in all of our planters and it's amazing! If a weed does come up it's pretty weak and easy to pull. Over the cloth is bark, but mulch would work as well. The best thing is we never have to spray chemicals, which scare me. You'd put out some money to put it all in, but it's less than a gardener and easier on you! I think Costco here had the cloth, so maybe check there if you have one? You tack the cloth down with stakes and it lasts a good long time. I will never have another yard without it :)
What a yard is all I can say! You only had half of the summer last year, so you are in for it this year. Good luck! IT is nice to have all that space for your boys to roam.
Megan, I can totally commiserate with you. Due to our neglect during the winter, our yard totally fills up with weeds. Many are taller than my 12 year old.
Go to Costco and get a big bucket of PREEN. It works for 3 months to prevent weeds from germinating. You just sprinkle it on. The best time to do it is just after you've weeded!
Ahh...You gotta be missing those attractive verano gardners right now...
Yes, I am to jealous of your yard. I know you will disagree since you have had much weeding to do, but it does look beautiful. Everything is so green - someday we will live where things actually grow besides dandelions. We love the weed barriers too - don't know what I would do without them.
Wow, you really have your work cut out!! Our planters are at least half the size of yours and I still wish I could hire a lawn person.
I am losing the battle of the weeds. We had these nasty weeds infest our front lawn last year. They just spread and take over the lawn. Now we have patches of dead lawn all over and they are coming back!!!! I don't know what to do!
Our friends had a mole--there are mole kits and baits and stuff you can get at home depot.
Yard work stinks huh? But what an improvement! I think I'm gonna call True Green on Monday to come help me with my lawns...I've done some, moss killer, weed killer, and fertilizer but...
Okay, I'm jealous of your yard too. I would love to find a house with a yard like that! And I'm going to third Bekah's suggestion. I used wet newspaper covered with woodchip mulch in my garden and I never had to weed! I used about 5-6 layers of newspaper. It was work to set up, but the rewards of not having to weed all summer were worth it! Good luck!
Post a Comment